A Very Large Expanse of Sea

A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi
a very large expanse of sea cover

Genre: Realistic Fiction; Historical Fiction (2002)


Reviewed by Rebecca C., 9th Grade


Rating: 9.5/10



I never thought that I would be reading this book until I was technically forced to for Battle of the Books. I loved how realistic this book was. I ended up really liking it even though it was slightly boring in the beginning.  


A Very Large Expanse of Sea takes place in 2002, the year after the attack on the World Trade Center. It follows a young Persian girl named Shirin, who is constantly moving schools for a more fulfilling life somewhere new. Because Shirin is Muslim and chooses to wear a headscarf, she gets racist comments practically everywhere she goes, including at school. Shirin’s already dealt with so much racism that even when she starts the new school she’s currently attending in the book, she puts up a wall so no one will pay attention to her. It almost seems like that strategy is working…until a boy with interesting eyes and an even more interesting name–Ocean James–tries conversing with her in their shared biology class. Shirin honestly wants nothing to do with him and is slightly suspicious of his intentions, but Ocean seems to be the only one who actually pays her the respect she deserves. She is sick of being stereotyped, but she later realizes one of the things she feared most is something that she was doing to the people around her. 


I truly wanted to punch everyone in the face who didn't let Shirin live her life. Everyone deserves happiness and assuming gets you nowhere. Even though Shirin's method of making friends was...questionable (she pushed people away instead of giving them a chance), I still respected her as a character, especially because I kind of see myself in her. I wish that I would be considered scary because being scary kind of earns you respect. Shirin is really an admirable character. She held her head up high even when people were complete and total racists. The only thing I didn't like about this book (that IT MADE ME CRY, though that's besides the point), was that they literally had to slice open a cat in biology class. How messed up is that?? Being the sister of two very cute and fat kitties, I was completely disgusted and wanted to vomit. I am very glad that I don't have to dissect a cat.


Overall, A Very Large Expanse of Sea showed diversity in ways we sometimes never think about and will continue to leave readers in tears (I hate goodbyes 😭). It will also educate you to never judge a book by its cover (or in this case, a person), as well as open your eyes and appreciate the good things around you. Sometimes good things and good people are hard to come by. And sometimes all it takes for you to open up is getting knocked in the shoulder by a biology textbook.



Want to read A Very Large Expanse of Sea?

Request a copy online with your library card today!