Heartstopper

Heartstopper by Alice Oseman
heartstopper cover

Genre: Graphic Novel; LGBTQIA+; Romance

Reviewed by Mikaela S., 12th Grade

Rating: 10/10


Heartstopper by Alice Oseman is a FANTASTIC book.  While reading this book I literally could not put it down; I seriously love this book and all of the other volumes so much.  They have everything that I love in a book including a good plot, in-depth characters, and a strong grip on me!


The first volume of Heartstopper is a book about two boys who become great friends...or maybe more than friends?  Charlie, and openly queer boy, starts to develop feelings for a "straight" rugby-player, Nick Nelson.  After sitting next to each other in class everyday, Nick and Charlie develop a strong friendship, which slowly seems to become possibly a little bit more than just a friendship.


As Nick and Charlie get closer, Nick begins to have troubles finding himself and accepting who he is.  They both have some issues that they are going through, but they are figuring them out together.  There is some angst along with the romance in this book, and while reading this book I went through an immense amount of different emotions.  Something that really connected me to this book is definitely Nick's struggle with his sexuality because I was in his shoes at one point; I could understand how he was feeling and what he was going through, so it made the book feel so much more personal.  This book ends almost on a cliffhanger which I usually hate but since there is more than one volume (I got all 4 at once) I was okay with it.

 

Something that also stuck out to me in this book is the amazing art style.  I LOVE Alice Oseman's art style and I found it to really added to the story.  It's different from other art styles that I have seen before, and I really love how well she showed their expressions through her drawings!  Even though her art style is on the more simple cartoon side, she incorporates so much emotion into their faces and their body language by adding just a few lines to signal a motion or even just making their eyebrows in a certain position, which can often give characters a different expression on their face even though it is just one small change. 


This is both a heartwarming and angsty story at the same time, and I am so here for it.  I love the individuality of the characters so much!! I loved every part of this book; it even has an amazing show!  I definitely recommend this book (and the rest of its volumes) to everyone!!!  If you like a romantic story that gives amazing LGBTQIA+ representation then this book is for you!


Want to read Heartstopper?

Request a copy online with your library card today!